Can your landlord evict you for being noisy?

At some point in our lives all of us have had noisy neighbours, those that you cannot imagine what they are doing in their house but it seems like they are fighting a bear there. Being a noisy neighbour may be chased in English Law as being antisocial behaviour.

Historically, this has been a major problem in areas where students live and in Manchester it is no different. Manchester Evening News has just confirmed that more than 180 houses in Fallowfield, Old Moat and Withington were reported to the police in the last 5 months due to antisocial behaviour.

Sometimes a landlord would like to repossess their property just to avoid more complaints and get new tenants who will not cause troubles. Since 2014 there are new grounds for a landlord to repossess a house. There are now 5 conditions* that might trigger your landlords to repossess his property and evict you from it.

  • If you as a tenant have been convicted of a serious offence or if someone visiting you at the property has been convicted of a serious offence. The offence must be committed within the dwelling-house or against a person with the right to reside in, occupy it or employed to work at it.
  • When the tenant or a person visiting the property have breached a provision of an Injunction under Section 1 of the Act causing nuisance or annoyance to the residents / neighbours.
  • If the tenant or a person visiting the rented property have been convicted for breaching a provision of a criminal behaviour order prohibiting a person from doing anything describe in a cited order.
  • If for whatever reason the rented house has been subject to a closure or access to it prohibited for more than 48 hours
  • When the tenant or a visitor have been convicted of an offence for causing annoyance as the noise emitted from the premises is classified as to be prejudicial to health.

If for whatever reason you are causing trouble to your neighbours and you are afraid of your landlord thinking about evicting you for this reason, you should seek professional legal help. Our housing law team of solicitors have years experience of dealing with issues related to antisocial behaviour and they will be able to help you. Contact them as soon as possible to find out what your chances are.


*Please note that this is a guidance only and can be never taken as the final legal advice.